Sky conditions may differ the light exposure that will enter a household or a structure – thus, three kinds of sky conditions are employed to get the approximate levels of lighting in a space.
First is the overcast sky, it is the most common sky condition and normally changes slower than the other two types. This sky condition gives more light inside the structure, as the clouds are covering 80% of the sky dome. The light that the overcast sky condition releases from the ground may differ from a hundred to a thousand miles away – that is depending on the heaviness of the clouds.
While clear sky gives lesser light than the overcast. As it is adequately stable although the area that’s enclosing the sun might change as it move. It is described as the sky dome are covered by the clouds with less than 30%.
Lastly is the cloudy sky, which the sky is pretty much covered by the clouds ranging from heavy to very mild. This sky condition varies from 30-80% of the sky dome being covered up by the clouds.
1. Expanding the perimeter of daylight in a structure may improve the conductivity of a structure as the light that enters the structure is broader.
2. Allowing the daylighting system infiltration in high position. The higher the position of the opening, the higher is the chance to have a profound infiltration result. Luminosity will lessen and the reflection that is blocking the view will be non-existent.
3. The use of the effectiveness of aperture for initial estimation of the area that needs glazing.
4. To increase the desired brightness in a specific room, look for a good placement of window or an opening to reflect within the room and it will provide enough light.
5. Sloping ceilings to a more explicit light into a specific space.
6. Avoiding excessive light exposure as it will give discomfort to those who are inside the building.
7. Locating the right place to construct a structure with daylighting system where uncritical damage happens.
8. Filtering the daylight might also help if there’s excessive amount of light that enters the building. Using curtains and the like will help soften the reflection of the daylight and circulate light properly.
9. Consider using Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) systems.
Also known as on or off control, if there is enough amount of light, simply switch off the light and let the natural light enter the building. When illumination decreases, turn the switch on for the desired brightness.
While stepped controls gives off a simple process to attain the levels of transitions it can control specific electrical device or appliance; all at once and one at a time.
This control adjusts electrical usage for daylighting to be able to use. This is also the controller that has more power to reduce electricity consumption as it will only give the appropriate supply of light.
Texture of the materials that will be using for a model will affect the result of the use of daylighting.
The color or the painting of the structure has no significance if it has proper and correct lighting meters.
Plywood, formboards or cardboard can be used as a wall and is properly painted. Foamboards aren’t always blurry and it is needed to be painted, and any other materials with similar texture, to avert the infiltration of uncomfortable light.
With the model, it is appropriate to use real glass for windows or just a simple opening so that light could enter the structure. In fact, the glass doesn’t reduce the brightness throughout the space inside. The circulation is comparatively minor unless direct sunlight has fenestration.
Strategies for Different Light Conditions
If the sky is cloudy or clear the skylight can be construct, that can scatter the light. But the important in here is how can they manage to sustained the light coming from the sun. The regular problem in daylighting is the solar shading. There is a difference between solar shading and the glare protection. The one that protecting from the light coming straight from the sun is the solar shading while the glare barely protect visual from immense brightness. The arrangement is also to cast back the light.
If the natural light is not currently available the intention of this is to widely scatter skylight to the inner area of the building. The objective of the window is to lead the light even if the sun has been blocked by the clouds, the window should be large and should be install at the high point of the wall. The moveable system is enforced if the weather condition is dull.
In this part the usual design is the use of shading system because the light is exposed directly from the sun. The shading system should be steadily used.
The radiant of the direct sunlight that exploit light straight from the sun go down to the aperture, enough to allocate daylight in the large area of the building. The sunlight is travelling straight after all it can effortlessly go down to the pipe.
To achieve the four-point policy of daylighting design it is needed to disregard the HVAC. To thoroughly explicit the access of relation to building design remember the components needed.
1. It is needed to compromise the location of the building if it were to put in an open field or in urban place. Also, the detail of the direction of the sunlight if there is currently an infrastructure near the location.
2. The part of the building may regulate the capacity of the room, extent, and the region. The capacity of the room and the region is important so that the sunlight may infiltrate to scatter the light fairly in each space of the area.
3. One of the difficult to design in the building is the size of the window and its placement. It must consider the benefit in human aspect and its trouble. The windows should not be goes beyond 5% of the light that will be distributed.
4. To oversight the natural light and the prevention of glare it Is needed to apply the control system. In the inner part of the building, it is needed to aid the relation between the daylighting and the artificial light to ease the consumption of energy