3.1 The Falkirk wheel
Falkirk wheel is in Falkirk, Scotland. It
is located about 23 miles from both Glasgow and Edinburgh. It is open Wednesday
to Sunday most of the year.
Forth & Clyde and Union Canals were linked in the 1930’s by a staircase of
11 locks which would have took you almost a day to passage. In 1933 these were dismantled. (Scottish
ambitious £84.5 million project was started in 1998 called the Millennium Link
project, this was to re-join the two canals.
Her Majesty, The Queen, in 2002 opened the world’s first and only
rotating boat lift which has since then seen more than 5.5 million visitors. (Scottish
Falkirk wheel is easily accessible by car, train or bus and has ample parking,
is wheelchair accessible and dog and child friendly. It also hosts a fantastic water play park and
a play park.
boat trip itself is just short of an hour long and costs between £1.50 – £12.95
per person. The attractions opening
times, including the on-site café, are between 1100hrs and 1600hrs. (Scottish
3.2 The Helix
Helix Park is located in Falkirk, Scotland.
It is accessible 24 hours a day, all
year unless there are special circumstances.
The Falkirk Greenspace Initiative,
2003, is where the Helix was born from.
The initiative was to build an Eco park transforming 350 hectares of
land between Grangemouth and Falkirk. From the Big Lottery in November
2007, the maximum amount of £25 million pounds was granted to fund the build of
the Helix, which now connects 16 local communities through its extensive path
networks. (The Helix, 2017).
Nearly 20,000 people attended the opening of The
Helix on 14th September 2013, which saw community art projects and popular
artists creating an entertaining spectacle across the park. The Helix remains
very busy to this day, with families, runners, dog walkers, Nordic Walkers,
cyclists and skaters all enjoying The Helix.
(The Helix, 2017).
The Helix’s Visitor Centre is open 0930hrs to 1700hrs, 7
days a week. There is ample parking, refreshments
and toilet facilities.
3.3 The Kelpies
Kelpies are located in Falkirk,
Scotland, about 19 miles from Edinburgh and 35 miles from Glasgow. The Kelpies are accessible for a visit 24hrs
a day, however, The Kelpies Tours only runs at specific times.
The Kelpies was chosen by Scottish
Canals, a project that was designed by Andy Scott, it was named so, to reflect the
mythological beasts, possessing the strength and endurance of 100 horses. The
Kelpies were Andy’s vision of the history of the heavy horse industry that
shaped the structural layout of the area. (The
see The Kelpies as a personification of local and national equine history, of
the lost industries of Scotland. I also envisage them as a symbol of modern
Scotland – proud and majestic, of the people and the land. They are the
culmination of cutting edge technology and hand crafted artisanship, created by
our country’s leading experts through international partnerships”. (Andy
Kelpies Tour costs between £0 – £7.50 pp.
There are toilet facilities and refreshments available and parking on
site is free at the Helix Park and Falkirk stadium which is open 1000hrs – 2300hrs,
daily. The Kelpies are beautifully light
up every night. (The Helix, 2017).
3.4 The Alloa Tower
The Alloa Tower is located in Alloa, which is
in Clackmannanshire, Scotland. It is
open daily, however, afternoons only.
This wonderful medieval tower house is one of
the best designed, constructed and largest of its type in the whole of Scotland. From the 15th century until c1800 it was the
home of the renowned Erskine family, Earls of Mar. The Erskine’s were the guardians of Mary,
Queen of Scots. (Clackmannanshire Council, 2017).
Sadly, the mansion was severely damaged in
1800 by a fire, however, due to its solid constructed the tower survived and
was carefully renovated to its likely appearance by the Alloa Tower Building
Preservation Trust in 1712. In 1997,
after an 8-year restoration project, Her Majesty, The Queen, opened the tower
to visitors to mark its 500th anniversary. (Clackmannanshire
The cost of admission is Adult: £6.50 and Family: £16.50. Car parking is available together with
3.5 Gartmorn Dam Country Park
Dam is located in, Sauchie, Alloa, Scotland.
John Erskine, 6th Earl of Mar manufactured the 170-acre reservoir to power the
pumps which drained his mines in Sauchie. It provided water power for pumping the coal mines. In 1820 the right was granted to the Burgh, by
the Earl of Mar, to extract water from it due to ever growing population and
industrial developments in Alloa. (Clackmannanshire Council, 2017).
parks many routes link a lot of the local communities together and it is a
peaceful retreat for people walking, cycling, horse riding or picnicking. Many birds live in Gartmorn all year round and
there is a special site for migratory wildlife during the winter months and they
breed here during the summer time. (Clackmannanshire Council, 2017).
The park gates are open daily from 0830hrs
until dusk. Parking is free near the visitor
center and main footpaths. There are no
refreshments at present however, this is looking to change in the very near